The purpose of this activity is to engage students in exploring and discussing the capabilities, limitations, and ethical considerations of AI tools, specifically focusing on their use in coursework.
At the end of this activity, students will be able to:
- Evaluate the usefulness and disadvantages of using AI to complete a variety of academic tasks.
- Measure the appropriateness of AI use in a variety of educational contexts.
- Develop new methods to cite AI in their work.
- Students have read the course syllabus.
- ChatGPT (students would need to sign up) or Heypi (can be used without signing up)
- ChatGPT Tool Guide in eLearning Student Help & Resources
Divide the class into groups of 5 students.
Instruct each group to complete the following steps:
- Read the ChatGPT guide provided to understand the capabilities and limitations of the tool.
- Explore one of the GenAI tools to gain hands-on experience and observe how it functions.
- Discuss within the group and develop AI guidelines for the course by addressing the following question:
“Should AI tools be permitted for coursework? Why or why not?”
Ask each group to share their findings and recommendations with the entire class.
Initiate a class-wide discussion to evaluate and decide on an AI policy for the course.
If the decision is made to allow the use of AI tools, ensure that the policy addresses potential concerns regarding misuse, such as acknowledging resources, proper citation and fact checking.