At the end of this activity, students will be able to:
- Develop new understandings of themselves as critical, strategic writers for empowerment and self-expression.
- Identify the composite writing skills that facilitate learning and understanding.
- Identify and clearly articulate how Artificial Intelligence impacts the writing process.
Writing is Thinking
“Writing is thinking” is a concept that emphasizes the close relationship between writing and cognitive processes. Writing serves as a tool for clarifying and refining our thoughts. When we write, we engage in a process of active reflection, organizing our ideas, exploring connections, and filling gaps in our understanding. The act of writing forces us to articulate our thoughts in a coherent and structured manner, leading to a deeper comprehension of the subject matter. As a result, writing becomes an avenue for critical thinking, problem-solving, and knowledge construction.
- Do you think that writing is a form of self-expression and exploration?
- How does the act of writing affect your thought process?
- Do you ever find that you have a different understanding of a topic after you’ve written about it?
- How do you think the process of thinking and building understanding through writing changes when mediated with AI tools such as ChatGPT?